Warm Squash Salad with Farro, Hazelnuts, and Currants
Delicata squash gets tossed with farro, hazelnuts, and currants in a light vinaigrette for party fare that's both healthy and satisfying.
- 1 1/2 pounds delicata or butternut squash, peeled (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more for farro water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup peeled hazelnuts, toasted and chopped lightly
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, and cut the squash into slices 1/4-inch thick. Chop each slice in half to get chunks.
• Toss the squash with sage and 2 tablespoons honey. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until the squash is fork tender, about15 minutes. Let cool.
• Place the water, farro, and salt in a pot over medium heat; simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 35 minutes; drain. Let cool slightly.
• Mix together 1 tablespoon honey, the vinegar, olive oil, and shallot until thoroughly combined.
• In a large bowl, toss the farro with the dressing and currants. Add the parsley, squash, and hazelnuts and mix gently until combined. Serve at room temperature.
TOTAL TIME: 60 MINUTES / SERVES 6 TO 8
Delicata doesn’t need peeling, other squashes do and may be harder to peel. If using butternut squash, quarter it lengthwise and then continue with the
Farro is an ancient grain commonly used in the Mediterranean. If you cannot find it, barley makes a good substitute.
Hazelnuts are expensive, but here are a few other uses for the extras: in our
chocolate chip cookies or toasted and added to a salad.
This salad can be made one day in advance; store covered in the refrigerator.
Back to all recipesBack to top of page
Caterers and seasoned party experts Jill Donenfeld and Josie Gordon are here to show you how to throw fresh, fun, and downright delicious dinner parties with ease and style.Buy it now