Sorrel-Okra Puree (Baguedi)
A sorrel-okra condiment often served with fish stew.
- 4 to 5 okra pods, tops removed
- 2 bunches sorrel, or substitute 1 bunch spinach plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or 2-inch square guedj (see Glossary)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Makes about 1 cup
1. In a small saucepan, cook the okra in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a separate pot, over medium heat, cook the sorrel or spinach with a little water and fish sauce (or guedj) until soft and wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Puree the greens in a blender with the okra and black pepper; if using spinach, blend with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Pour into a serving bowl.Back to all recipesBack to top of page
Restaurateur and Senegalese native Pierre Thiam brings the once little-known cuisine of Senegal to a wider audience, introducing us to a cuisine that is at once familiar and exotic, down-home and elegant.Buy it now
Delicata squash gets tossed with farro, hazelnuts, and currants in a light vinaigrette for party fare that's both healthy and satisfying.
This bread avoids heaviness by borrowing the flavors of a great multigrain loaf and combining it with the lightness of a sandwich bread