Sizzling Shrimp with Garlic
A young, well-travelled relative of ours, Margaret Lydecker, fell in love with this classic Spanish tapa, known as gambas al ajilla, while living in Spain. Her technique calls for letting the oil, garlic, and water “get to know one another” before adding the shrimp.
- 2 pinches salt (preferably sea salt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4 ounces jumbo or large shrimp, peeled
- Crusty bread
1. Combine the salt and 2 tablespoons water in a small dish.
2. Combine the olive oil and garlic in a small sauté pan, and heat over medium-high heat just until the garlic begins to sizzle and turn golden; don’t let it burn. Holding the lid in one hand, add the salted water with the other, and immediately clap the lid on the pan to minimize splattering.
3. After letting the liquid sizzle for 20 seconds or so, lift the lid, add the shrimp, and quickly cover again. Cook just until the shrimp turns pink and the liquid reduces, about 30 seconds, lifting the lid once more to stir the shrimp.
4. Take the sauté pan directly to the table. Use chunks of bread to scoop up the shrimp and juices. Or, with a fork, spear each bread chunk with a shrimp and dunk in the pan juices. Repeat until the shrimp are gone and the pan is wiped clean.
*This dish cooks in a breathtakingly brief span of time, so it’s essential to read the recipe all the way through and have your ingredients at the ready before you begin.
You’re tired of takeout, frozen entrées, and the umpteenth bowl of cereal, and the thought has crossed your mind that eating like this is probably not healthy. In other words, you’re ready for a real meal and Serves One is here to show the way, with more than 120 fast and fabulous recipes sized just for you.Buy it now
Other Main Courses
In Trinidad, the offspring of Africans and Hindus are called "Dougla." The electrifying ballet Dougla—performed by the Dance Theatre of Harlem, and for which Geoffrey Holder choreographed, costume-designed, and created the music—inspired this meal.
Simple, creamy tomato soup with complex and satisfying herbed grilled cheese.