Classic Yellow Cake
Finally, a gluten-free cake that's moist, with a nice crumb and delicate texture.
I have to admit, this was one of the hardest recipe for me to create. Each one of my attempts was too dry or too bland. For long time (honestly, several years) the perfect yellow cake evaded me. I wanted something moist, with a nice crumb and delicate texture. Finally, I switched from using butter in the recipe to using oil. This seemingly small change made a world of difference. My cake was no longer dry. It was moist! And tender! And delicious!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch round pans or one 9x13-inch pan, or line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
3. In another medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds. (Use high speed on handheld mixer, medium-high on stand mixer.) Add eggs and beat for an additional 15 seconds. Mixture will be very fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. (Use medium speed on handheld and stand mixers.) Add milk and vanilla extract. Blend until batter is thoroughly combined and fluffy.
4. Pour batter into prepared pans. (For 8-inch rounds, divide batter evenly between two pans. For the 9x13-inch pan, spread batter evenly into prepared pan. For cupcakes, fill muffin cups 1/2 full.)
5. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (For 8-inch rounds about 25 to 30; for 9x13-inch pan about 35 to 40 minutes; for cupcakes about 20 to 25 minutes.)
6. Remove pan(s) from oven and place on wire racks to cool, 5 minutes. Transfer cake(s) directly onto racks to cool completely.
7. Ice as desired.
Makes one 8-inch layer cake, one 9x13-inch cake, or 2 dozen cupcakesBack to all recipesBack to top of page
Living gluten-free doesn't have to mean giving up the foods you love most. In Easy Gluten-Free Baking, you'll find recipes for day-to-day use, special occasions, parties, gifts, and bake sales.Buy it now
This chilled blueberry pie, filled with vanilla pastry cream and topped by a shimmering glaze flavored with orange zest, is a simple delight.
An incredibly rich pie filling is lightened by mounds of meringue in this very old and much favored family recipe.